BYU Athletics: A New Era and Changing Broadcast Landscape
The Brigham Young University (BYU) Cougars’ recent inclusion in the Big 12 Conference marks a significant shift in the university’s athletic program. With this new chapter comes changes in how fans can watch BYU sports, particularly with the increased prominence of streaming services like ESPN+. This report provides an overview of how fans can access BYU games on ESPN+ and delves into the implications of this shift in the broadcast landscape.
Streaming BYU on ESPN+
For fans eager to catch their favorite Cougar athletic contests, ESPN+ offers a centralized platform for streaming BYU games. Football, basketball, soccer, and volleyball are among the sports that will be streamed on ESPN+ due to the Big 12’s TV contractual agreements.
To access BYU games on ESPN+, fans have two subscription options: $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. These subscriptions can be purchased on ESPN.com, ESPNplus.com, or through the ESPN App. Alternatively, fans can opt for the Disney bundle, which includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu for $12.99 a month (Hulu with ads) or $19.99 a month (Hulu without ads). Notably, ESPN+ is also available to Hulu + Live TV subscribers at no additional cost.
It is important to note that ESPN+ is a separate streaming service from ESPN, which means that simply having ESPN through a cable subscription or long-term contract does not grant access to ESPN+.
Supported Devices and Multiple Streams
ESPN+ allows users to stream live games, rewind or replay the action, and even access multiple streams simultaneously on up to three devices. The supported devices include:
- Apple TV
- Android phones, tablets, TVs
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Roku players and TVs
- Amazon FireTV
- Xbox Consoles (X/S, One)
- Playstation Consoles (PS4, PS5)
Finding BYU Games on ESPN+
The process of finding BYU games on ESPN+ varies depending on whether you are accessing the platform through the website or app.
On the ESPN+ website, fans can navigate to the Big 12 Conference tab to search for available streams. Additionally, the Schedule & Replays tab offers filters like Live Now, Upcoming, Replay, Sports, and Network, allowing fans to locate BYU games based on their preferences and the current situation.
On the ESPN+ app, fans can simply click on the Watch tab and search for BYU games through the Live or Upcoming tabs. Alternatively, fans can scroll until they find the Big 12 Conference page, where all conference-related live streams are consolidated. For specific BYU teams, such as the football team or men’s and women’s basketball teams, fans can search “BYU” to find ESPN‘s home page for the respective sports and click on the Watch Live button on the schedule page.
Editorial: The Changing Landscape of Sports Broadcasting
The advent of streaming services like ESPN+ and the increasing prevalence of online platforms for watching sports illustrate the ongoing transformation of the sports broadcasting landscape. While this shift provides fans with greater accessibility and choice, it also raises philosophical questions about the commercialization and commodification of sports and its impact on the fan experience.
On one hand, the availability of streaming services like ESPN+ allows fans to access a wide array of games and events conveniently. The ability to watch games on multiple devices and the option to customize subscriptions cater to the individual preferences of fans. Streaming services also offer the benefits of flexibility, as fans can watch games live, rewind or replay moments, or catch up on missed games with on-demand features.
However, the proliferation of streaming services also necessitates additional financial commitments from fans. Subscriptions to platforms like ESPN+ come with their own costs, which can accumulate when considering other streaming services that may offer access to different sports or leagues. The bundling of services, such as the Disney bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu, can alleviate some of the financial burden but still require ongoing payments.
Furthermore, the shift towards streaming raises concerns about the loss of communal viewing experiences. Traditional television broadcasts often brought fans together in bars, living rooms, or sports venues, creating a shared atmosphere of excitement and camaraderie. Streaming services, while convenient, can contribute to a more individualized viewing experience, potentially diminishing the sense of collective passion and shared fan culture that comes with gathering in-person or watching together in real-time.
Advice for Fans
As the sports broadcasting landscape continues to evolve, it is essential for fans to navigate these changes while maintaining their enjoyment of the game. Here are a few recommendations for fans:
- Prioritize your interests: Assess which sports or teams you are most passionate about and consider subscribing to platforms that cater to those specific interests. This can help optimize your budget and reduce financial strain.
- Explore bundling options: Investigate whether bundled services like the Disney bundle or other similar offerings align with your entertainment preferences. Bundles can provide a cost-effective way to access multiple streaming platforms.
- Embrace new viewing experiences: While communal viewing experiences may be diminished, embrace the convenience and flexibility of streaming services. Experiment with different devices and features to enhance your personal enjoyment of the game.
- Connect with fellow fans: Utilize online communities, forums, and social media platforms to connect with like-minded fans. Engage in conversations, debates, and live streams to maintain and foster a sense of shared fandom.
In conclusion, with BYU‘s entry into the Big 12 Conference, fans can expect changes in how they watch Cougar sports. ESPN+ emerges as a central platform for streaming these games, offering a wide range of devices and features for an enhanced viewing experience. However, as the broadcasting landscape transforms, it is crucial for fans to reflect on the implications of these changes and find ways to adapt while preserving the essence of their sports fandom.
<< photo by Jopwell >>
The image is for illustrative purposes only and does not depict the actual situation.
You might want to read !
- Kedon Slovis Shines as BYU Topples Rival Team with Five Touchdowns
- “Showdown in the South: Where and How to Watch Alabama vs. Texas Live”
- Bulldogs Dominate: Georgia Football Comes out on Top against Ball State
- “Taking Stock: Analyzing the Seahawks vs. Vikings Odds, Spread, and Line in the 2023 NFL Preseason”
- “Breaking down the Seahawks vs. Vikings odds and predictions for the 2023 NFL preseason clash”
- “Feeling the Heat: A Closer Look at the Israel Adesanya vs. Sean Strickland Showdown”
- Kickoff Times and TV Channels: Kansas State vs Troy Football Game Today
- College Football Showdown: Virginia Tech vs. Purdue – A Clash of Titans or Mismatched Melee?